German InsurTech in 18 Facts
InsurTech VC is Mega Hot!
They have all discovered InsurTech as a potential goldmine and are chasing startups with their venture capital dollars. In aggregate, they have invested $2.7bn globally in 2015, which is more than 3.5x the 2014 number.
And What’s Going on in Germany?
Apparently, InsurTech VC is mega hot at present. After fairr.de has been awarded FinTech of the Year 2015 it’s definitely time to see, what is going on in Germany. Consequently, we have drawn down relevant InsurTech info from our proprietary Barkow Consulting FinTech Money Map data base.
Below We Present the Anatomy of German InsurTech in 18 Points:
- We count a total of 25 InsurTech startups in Germany
- 10 InsurTech startups are backed by VC
- 4 InsurTech startups have successfully closed ≥ three funding rounds
- > €40m Venture Capital has been invested since 2012
- €27m VC was invested in 2015 alone
- This is >3x 2014, but only 1% of global InsurTech VC
- We count 23 VC funding rounds since 2012
- We count 9 funding rounds in 2015
- 33 VCs have invested in German InsurTech
- … of which 3 with 2 investments each
- … of which 8 foreign VCs
- > 40 Angel Investors have invested in German InsurTech
- 3 InsurTech startups raised €8m or more each
- 2 M&A deals closed in 2015
- startupbootcamp lured German massup into its London InsurTech acceleretor
- 2 German InsurTech startups are crowdfunded
- Only 3 German insurance companies have invested in FinTech so far
- 2 foreign insurance companies have invested in German FinTech
Please click two times on below Infographic to enlarge.