Greatest Hits 2020
2020 was a special year on many dimensions for Barkow Consulting’s Research unit. We have been incredibly busy churning out a record amount of research products against the pandemic background.
As a consequence, we have been mentioned more than 750x in the press not including the press coverage generated for our clients. Examples of the latter can be found at the bottom of our COVID-19 Research Special page.
Below we list our most popular research notes of 2020 (by topic in alphabetical order).
Spoiler: It is no coincidence, that you will read the term COVID-19 really a lot…
- Banken: Brexit-Boom Beendet?
We analyse the consolidation of German banks 2019 (German text)
- Working for Taxes Only? German Banks’ Tax Rate Hits 100% in 2019
We show, that German banks had a stunning tax rate of 100%! in H1 2020
- COVID-19 to Speed Up German ATM Decline
We show the impact of COVID-19 and explosions on German ATMs
- COVID-19 treibt Hypotheken von Rekord zu Rekord
- We show, how German mortgage growth hits new highs during COVID-19
- German Banking Fees: Up & Only Up!
We show, how strongly German banking fees have increased since 2015
Corporate Finance & Governance
- Meck.-Pom. ganz weit vorne
We show, how Eastern German savings banks lead at women on board
- Governance Tracker – Sparkassen
We observe, that German savings banks are excluded from a mandatory board quota and applying it, would have little impact anyway (German text)
- COVID-19 treibt HV-Präsenz auf Rekordniveau
Despite or due to COVID-19 investors vote like never before – we analyse DAX 30 Annual General Meetings (German text)
- COVID-19 Lockdowns: A Global Blackout
We have probably created the first interactive full dark mode map showing how COVID-19 lockdowns create a global blackout (updated daily)
- COVID-19 Global Infections – Bar(kow) Chart Race
Our bar chart race shows, how COVID-19 spreads in different countries across the globe
- COVID-19 Infections German States – Bar(kow) Chart Race
Our bar chart race shows, how COVID-19 spreads in different German states
- German FinTech Investments 2019 Breaking Through €3bn Mark
We recap a record 2019 for German FinTech investments
- 2019: InsurTechs Lead German FinTech VC for 1st Time
We revisit German FinTech Investments by category
- Solid Deal Count, Bleak Volume
We analyse German FinTech investments Q1 2020
- Corona treibt Sondererträge des Bundes auf Rekordniveau
We show how the German government makes money with COVID-19 debt (German text)
- Corona-Kriegskasse des Bundes beträgt ca. €77Mrd.
We were the first to quantify the COVID-19 war chest of the German government (German text)
Retail Savings & Investments
- Der Tagesgeldzins ist nun auch offiziell abgeschafft
We show, that the interest rate for daily payable deposits is now officially gone (German text)
- COVID-19 Drives German Stock Investments to Record Highs
We observe, that German retail investors pour record amounts into stocks
- COVID-19: German Cash-Plosion Continues
We show, how German households put record amounts into cash
- COVID-19: Savings Glut Continues
We show, how German savings hit unprecedented levels during COVID-19
- NO SHIT!
We show, how toilet paper sales rise and fall during COVID-19
- COVID-19: Toilet Paper Rush pt. II
We show, that toilet paper hoarding during lockdowns seems inevitable in Germany
- COVID-19 Hoarding: Toiletries Beat Bakeries
We show, that Germans hoard more Toiletries (#Soap, #Toiletpaper, #Disinfectant) than Bakeries (#Flour, #Yeast)